Monday, November 26, 2007

Bike Accident Part II: Injury update

So, I spent the Thanksgiving weekend layed up on my boyfriends couch trying to recoup a knee injury from my bike accident instead of out riding and running. It was relaxing and cozy, but not exactly great for training...or maybe it was great for training, since I am getting better every day now. Seems the hardest part of being a profeesional athlete (or any athlete, for that matter) is resting when it is really necessary. Still, it wasnt so bad. When was the last time I chilled out by a fire, watched movies and took naps? Maybe the last time I was in a bike accident 6 years ago!

I went to the Orthopedic today (Thanks to my friend and incredible PT, Don Rourke) and it seems that I have some contusions to the knee, but nothing broken or torn. Don is working on getting me back as soon as possible (especially since he happens to be one of my training partners). We did some electric stim, ice, stretching and he had me doing some hip and "core" exercises. No mercy for Don...which is great! In the meantime, it's swimming with a pull buoy for me, with the hopes of getting on the trainer this week and hopefully water jogging as well.

George bounced back very quickly from being hit by an S.U.V. He was out riding the next day and ran an biked over the weekend. He was banged up and the muscles seem "beat up" and tight, but, in all he's pretty tough and feeling good. I am indebted to him for being so great this weekend. It isn't always easy dealing with an injured athlete who has to chill out and recover when she's used to training all day! Again, I must say that we are very lucky! Looks like the bikes may have gotten it worse than we did...

No comments: