Thursday, May 29, 2008

Pre Boise 70.3 and Reflections of the Past...

As I write this, I am sitting on a plane that is Denver-bound. Once I reach Denver, I will have a 3-hour layover before hopping on a plane to Boise, Idaho. I am traveling to my second race of the season. A new IM 70.3 race held in Boise. It’s hard to believe that IM Florida 70.3 was just 12 days ago! I am more nervous for this race than I have been for a race in a while. I think it’s because of my poor result in Florida. Deep down, I know that I want to do good this weekend (maybe feel a bit of pressure?) so that I can head into my last phase of Lake Placid training with the confidence that I am just as strong (if not stronger?) than I have ever been. I know that I cannot fit in another 70.3 race as it will mess with my last 7 weeks of long training for Placid, so this is it. Another bad result is unacceptable in my mind. This will be a great one. I can feel it.
I am headed to Boise alone this time. I realize that this will be my first race ever (since I started doing local sprint races back in 1998) that I will finish without having any spectators there. Sounds like I am feeling sorry for myself? Yes, I know, but I’m really not all that sad about it. It’ll be different, but really I am just trying to be focused on my race. Plus, two friends of mine, Jess (who now lives in Boulder, CO) and Seth (who now lives in San Diego, CA) will be racing as well, so I won’t really be alone. They arrive tomorrow.
Boise sounds like a great race, but it is the first time they are having the race, so everything is relatively unknown. I don’t even know what pros are racing yet!! I do know that the swim is in the “Lucky Peak Reservoir”, which is supposed to be cold! The bike is supposed to be FAST (hilly, but fast descents mixed in for a fast overall average mph), and the run is on a path around Boise. The run is two loops and flat (yay!!). One minor concern is the slight altitude of Boise, which affects me a bit, but it is similar to Buffalo Springs as far as altitude, and I did pretty well there last year.
Lately, I have been reflecting on my career as a triathlete and not only my short career as a pro, I mean my whole career starting with my first race in 1998 which was a sprint triathlon in Maryland. I did this race as a suggestion from my College swim coach, Kim Lessard. I had just graduated College and I never felt like I had reached my peak in swimming. I still had much more in me as a swimmer as both my coach and I knew. Kim suggested I try a triathlon and I figured, why not? I was 21, I was fit, and I loved to compete. The only thing was I had never really ridden a road bike and I hadn’t really ever run! I gave it a go though. My brother bought me a Cannondale “touring bike” for graduation (sort of like a road bike, but with less gears, I believe…for touring around) and I had started the whole running thing after Nationals in March. My race was in May. I had no idea what I was doing and I didn’t really know anyone who did triathlons! Needless to say, my mom, dad and I headed to Western Maryland, where the race was and I gave it a go. I remember watching people set up their bikes in a “transition area” and copying what they were doing. I didn’t even know “transition areas” existed. I never even thought as far as where I would put my bike, etc. I had run shoes, but no bike shoes. I used my run shoes on the bike! Also, I didn’t know what “tri shorts” were, so I had run shorts there to put over my bathing suit.
Being that I had just come off of my best swim season, I was in pretty good swim shape. I say “pretty good” because, although I still swam on my own after Nationals, it wasn’t nearly the 13-15,000 yards a day that I did during the season! Also, I had a steady diet of beer and alcohol that most seniors survive on during their last months at College. I had put on a little weight (I was no longer 113 lbs.) but I was by no means “heavy”. I was the heaviest that I had ever been though, as I had probably put on anywhere from 7-10 lbs during those months after Nationals. There I was in my first triathlon. Instead of standing on a beach, I felt that I should have been on the blocks on a pool deck, but the gun went off and so did I! I was first woman out of the water. I had probably expected to be first out of the water at that time. Soon I was on the bike, and while my memory is lacking, I can tell you that it was nothing special. The bike was a new thing to me and I was not by any means a “natural”. I do remember the run quite clearly. I remember feeling the worst pain that I had ever felt! I actually felt nauseous and thought that I just wanted the end to come! It took a while, but the end finally came. Believe it or not, I finished first overall! I could not believe it! “This is something I can do after College”, I thought! I was motivated again.
From there it’s been one challenge after another. It’s been a beautiful ride so far and when I reflect back, my worries and doubts seem to disappear. After that first triathlon in 1998 I had some races that I did not win, but soon, after a season or two I found that I could win most local races that I competed in. From there, I decided to compete in the “bigger races”. In Eagleman in 2001, my first Half Ironman, I was 6th overall, including the pro women, with a 4:48. Next up was my first Ironman, Florida in 2001. 1st in my age group with a slot to Kona! As an amateur, I had some great results including 2005 when I finished 2nd place in Kona in the 25-29 age group behind super-stud Tyler Stewart (who is now a pro as well) and 4th amateur overall! (See photos above. I am second from the left-next to Tyler-in Kona 2005 receiving the 2nd place award). Then I made the leap to pro last year. This was a scary one, but it too went well. Sixth in my first pro race (Florida 70.3), 7th in Buffalo Springs and IM lake Placid and a slot to Kona where I finished 23rd Overall. Don’t get me wrong, I am by no means a “phenom” like Chrissie Wellington, who turned pro and in her first season won IM Korea and then stunned the triathlon world by winning the Ironman World Championships, but I am “holding my own”. It is so easy to doubt yourself (I do often) and question your abilities (Yup, I do that too), but I am finding that “looking at the big picture” as I have done this week can really put things in perspective and help to build some confidence. So, I go into Boise this weekend ready and focused. I just have to “do what I do” and enjoy what I do without dwelling on my last race, and all should turn out great! By next week I am hoping to be writing about my fantastic race at Boise with anticipation of a super last training block to IM Lake Placid.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As new pro triathletes waiting for our moment to shine we have to enjoy how far we have got in this sport and how much we love it. You have had amazing race results. We have to not be so hard on ourselves!
Good Luck in Boise and just enjoy the race and the rest will come!

Dee said...

Thanks Jacqui :-)