Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Inspiration

This past weekend was the NYC marathon and Ironman Florida. I wanted to congratulate a couple of people on both races… Bob Cook, owner of Runners Edge a specialty running shop located in Farmingdale NY (http://www.runnersedgeny.com/), and also a great friend and boss completed Ironman Florida this past weekend. Bob is 63 years old and finished the Ironman in an impressive 12:53!!! Bob also finished 8th place in his age group out of 37 men! Not only did Bob do a fantastic job, but he did so with a “crash course” of training after finding out that he got awarded a slot to the race by Newton Running just this past September! It goes to show the talent that Bob has and the mental toughness to go along with his talents! He was a true inspiration this past weekend. I will think of him while competing in Arizona in 2 ½ weeks!

Another true inspiration is a friend Matt Long who competed in the NYC Marathon this past Sunday. I had first met Matt in Lake Placid in 2005 (Matt competed in the Ironman there in 2005). That same year, Matt came to Hawaii to watch his friend Frank compete in Hawaii. I too was competing in Hawaii that year and I can actually remember seeing Matt cheering on the sidelines. His love of the sport and his enthusiasm and energy was remarkable. I had the feeling that Matt was making a pact with himself to one day qualify and race Kona. I figured that it would be just a matter of time. Unfortunately, that December, Matt was run over by a bus while riding his bike to work during the illegal Mass transit strike in NYC. Matt survived the accident against all odds. He was left with special needs and a body rebuilt with metal.. When I was in Arizona training last April, I ran into Matt at the local bike shop. He was out in Arizona doing physical therapy and he was excited to report that he had just run his first mile post-accident (he had just had his 40th surgery before heading out to Arizona). Running a mile was a HUGE accomplishment! He told me that he wanted to run the NYC Marathon and I thought, “WOW”! I couldn't believe it, but at the same time I knew that Matt would in fact complete the marathon. His will and enthusiasm is contagious, but the amount of work ahead of him seemed unreal. I think I train hard? No way…
Here is his story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/10/28/2008-10-28_three_years_after_being_hit_by_bus_firef.html
Well, Matt finished the NY Marathon this past Sunday! AMAZING is all I can say… He ran in Zoot shoes and Compression socks too...Go Zoot!
You can also check out the link to his foundation, “The I Will Foundation” at: http://www.iwillfoundation.com/, where you can read more about Matt and his story, as well as his foundation which “helps people overcome adversity and challenges caused by illness or traumatic injury”. Congratulations Matt on a huge accomplishment!!

No comments: