Friday, May 1, 2009

Back to Basics...

Wow...Time flies. It's been a while since my last update. Many changes since Oceanside. I took a "turn" after that race and have "revisited" my old training that I found to be so successful for me. The good news: Im not as "de-trained" as I thought I was! Also, after adding some MUCH NEEDED intensity in a short amount of time, I have been on a the fast track back to fitness levels that I reached during my first Pro season back in 2007! :-) I am on track to surpass those levels no doubt...
...isnt that what we all strive for? Getting as strong as possible...finding ways to surpass levels that we once considered to be our best? Because of this "switch", my mental side has also done a "180". I am more confident than I had been in a long time and I realize that I really love doing what I do, which is SO important for success. I try to embrace what I am doing as "it won't last forever"!
Of course, no athlete does it completely solo, everyone has support and I have been lucky to be able to "bounce ideas" off of George in my attempt to regain my power on the bike. Ive learned a lot that I THOUGHT I knew, but didnt fully understand. By looking back at my old training and carefully analyzing what works and what does not work for me in my training, then "picking George's brain", I have been able to really understand what it is that I need to be doing, and the correct way to go about it. It also helps to try and ride side-by-side with him...something I find difficult and frustrating at times, but always rewarding once the ride is over! Also, my coach from 2004/5-2008 offered to help me out again after almost a year hiatus. Having someone who knows my history, my ability and potential, and my goals has been key. Working closely with him again and developing a solid plan for IM Austria has been exciting...especially when I have been seeing the results come so quickly in training! Of course I always have family and friends that support me, like Jen Gatz (amazing triathlon coach, teacher, mother, athlete, etc...) who I can always contact when I need advice on training and who always gives me a solid, well thought out solution to whatever it is I need guidance with. Also, Jamie Fishlow (incredible triathlon coach, teacher, father, athlete, etc...) who has not only developed a strength training regimen for me that helped me to train injury-free throughout this winter (a first for me), but who also became my strength training partner as well as good friend. Like I said, no one can do it alone...
I've been working on my mental preparation quite a bit as well and have been reading, "Fit Soul Fit Body" written by the legendary Triathlete Mark Allen and Healer Brant Secunda. Their website is: www.fitsoul-fitbody.com. Another incredible book that teaches the importance of the mental side of training and racing is Bobby McGee's "Magical Running". I am reading this book for a second time to refresh myself on the lessons that Bobby (legendary running coach) teaches as a fundamental part of any athletes training. Bobby also has some wonderful article's that he has written on his website: www.bobbymcgee.com. Ask any successful athlete and they will tell you the importance of believing in themselves and working on their mental strength and perseverance...something that plays a HUGE role in endurance sports.
So I am finishing up a short rest period after completing a wicked training block and am getting ready to start up again...the next race is Mooseman in June and then Ironman Austria in July. I cant wait to see the payoff from all of this hard work!

1 comment:

seth g said...

i miss you! glad to hear we have the same coach again. youre so due for a great race and i know IM austria is it. hope youre well.