Monday, June 29, 2009

Austria update #2

I woke up on Sunday morning to the sound of rain on the roof. Did I mention that the rain is following me? I leave NY and its beautiful…I come to southern Austria, where is noted for its “Mediterranean-like Climate” of warmth and sunshine, and it’s rainy! Don’t blame me if it gets cloudy and rainy in New York again after I return from Austria! After doing a little core and stretching in the morning, I called Sylvie and she quickly came over to drop off her Mtn. bike that she will be lending me this week (mostly for Erin during the race) and she also took me to the ONLY supermarket open in town. That’s right…no stores open on Sunday and few on the weekend at all. What a nice concept! I know people talk about a time when Long Island was like that, but not since I can remember!
After buying some food and getting a driving tour of Klagenfurt, courtesy of Sylvie, we headed to Brigitte’s house (Sylvie’s mom) where she prepared a delicious lunch for us! Sylvie, myself, Horst , Michael and Brigitte all sat down to a salmon and potato lunch with a variety of salads, and a little white wine as well. We sat for a while talking and laughing, trying to figure out different words in English, French and German! After lunch, we sat on the terrace for coffee and DELICIOUS chocolate cake (there goes my “no dessert before Ironman”, but hey, it wasn’t ice cream, right?! Plus, it’s just a week out now…it can’t hurt, right?!) Well, it was excellent and Brigitte even packed me up some to bring home!). My bags still did not arrive, so Sylvie was generous to lend me some running clothes and off I went for a light 40 min jog. I ran on the path that runs parallel to the canal that the Ironman finishes in. It was a beautiful run and it felt great to move my body after a long travel day! I returned just in time for Tea Time! We sat down at 4PM for a special English tea with a bit of sugar, rum and milk. It was so good that Brigitte packed me up my very own teapot and loose tea to bring home and make for myself! I’m sure I won’t make it quite as good as she did! We all sat again talking and laughing. I was sitting there thinking about how lucky I was to meet this wonderful family…
When I arrived back at my cottage, I was informed that my bike and luggage just made it to Klagenfurt and would be delivered to my home here! Yippee!!! I had enough time to grab the bag and bike and head out the door to meet Henry (the man who hooked me up with all of these accommodations, etc) and his family. On the way there, Horst and Michael were kind enough to drive with me (I followed along in my Smart car) so I would know the way and could HOPEFULLY make it back on my own! I had a great pleasure of meeting Henry, his wife and his two daughters and their two friends. A couple from the Netherlands was also staying there for the week and the husband is racing Ironman for the first time! We all sat down to a delicious cake (yes, more cake!) and great conversation. Again, I thought…how great is this? I have been in the company of kind and generous people since I landed here!
I finally left Henry’s around 9PM and found my way back to the cottage (thanks to Henry’s directions)! Tomorrow I must put my bike together and go for a ride! I am here, after all, to race an ironman in a week! I am looking forward to the ride, and maybe I’ll have a bit of that chocolate cake that Brigitte sent me home with after my ride!

1 comment:

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

You're making me so nostaglic for Europe that I actually just looked online to see if I could make a last minute trip to Klagenfurt. You know, I could combine a little IM spectating with general sightseeing. It turns out that it is WAY out of my buget, but the prospect got me really exited for your race. Enjoy your time in beautiful Austria and race hard!