Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Good and Evil...

I am writing this to thank everyone who has sent me positive e-mails and comments on my blog along the way. I was hesitant to write a blog at first ("who is going to care what I'm doing?") but I must say that it has been a positive experience overall it it is so great to have support from friends and fellow triathletes.

That being said, I have had been harassed on my blog since last winter. This person writes anonymous blog comments telling me the most horrible things about myself, basically what a loser I am and what a waste I am as a triathlete. The funny thing is, the person did not write a comment after IM Austria! Guess they couldn't think of anything to say... However, I just got a nasty comment this morning about how much I suck, etc, etc from Im Louisville. Honestly, I didn't read the whole comment, but I got the general idea. Even though I try to look at this with a sense of humour, it is never fun to read horrible things about yourself when you are trying the best you can and just living your life.

I'm sharing this because the funny part of the whole thing is that I have known EXACTLY who has been writing these terrible commentItalics to me for months now! In the spring, after some really terrible comments, I decided to go through the proper authorities and have the comments traced by a professional. I've known who has been "secretly" harassing me for quite a while. I chose to ignore it and not waste too much time on this sad person as they don't deserve my time, but as I came home this morning to find yet another evil comment about what a no-talent, waste of life, bogus Pro Triathlete I am, I decided to write this blog. I choose not to "out" this person because I will then stoop to the sad level that they exist on, but one day (maybe soon) I will run into them again. That should be quite interesting!

For everyone else thank you so much. You don't realize how much it means to have the support and excitement from so many people!!! It makes the journey I have been on that much better... I am happy to have started this blog for that reason.
Cheers,
Danielle

9 comments:

Gina Gelman said...

Hi Danielle -

All I have to say is that someone who posts anonymously is one thing, and one thing only - a coward (and probably a jealous one at that!).

As I've told you before, I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog and am inspired by your talent, dedication and honesty. Anyone reading your blog (with that ONE glaring exception) can learn from it - as athletes and as people.

Keep doing what you're doing, you ROCK!

Gina

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

The message that my mom instilled when I was a little kid is completely true: people belittle others only to make themselves feel better about their sorry existence. She didn't say it quite like that, but it's true. Anonymous commenter is obviously jealous, spiteful, and so desperate to not confront his/her own issues that he/she projects them onto you. I can't wait to see you rock in the fall once you're all healed up. All the best.

RockStarTri said...

Danielle,

I'm sorry you've experienced that harassment. No one should.

But, and it is a big but, there are many people (including yours truly) who read your blog for inspiration. Realize that you've had a positive effect on them (even though you may not even know it or that they even exist).

Keep blogging about your adventures. The good outweighs the evil.

Rock on.

Joe

Mike said...

My thoughts are similar to everyone else's.
I don't
Know how anyone could be so
Evil

The funny thing
About the
Loser is that as a person he is
Laughable
Enough to be considered
Sad :-)

Unknown said...

Wow Danielle, so sorry you have had to deal with such harassment, stay positive, keep working hard and living and sharing your dreams and experiences. Not too many people have the opportunity to compete and train at the level you are at.
Rock on!

Unknown said...

Dee
Forget Louisville you've had a tremendous season! You are still an inspiration and role model to all us new triathletes coming up in the sport. And as for that loser, so glad you confronted it. I only wish to see his face while reading your newest blog! haha look forward to seeing you on the road!
Michele

Shelbyyy@gmail.com said...

I love this post! Good for you for calling out the weenie. I can just imagine the person's reaction when they read it. I'm amazed that someone would put that kind of energy into posting things like that, to YOU of all people.
Good for you for being the bigger person and good for you for sticking up for yourself when enough was enough.
I commented on your previous post but can't tell if I sent it or deleted it.
Let me know if you decide to do IMAZ!

Mark said...

How tedious for you to have to deal with this sort of thing Dee. I personally enjoy your quaint, cathartic missives ... and am glad you are keeping your posts going ... congrats on a great year and a super fast race in Austria! ... Next year Kona!
Cheers!
Mark

Unknown said...

Dee, WOW alots been going on with you. Good for you handling that situation the way you did...what a sad jealous person they must be...Always use other people's negativity to fuel your fire!
Just read your IM Louisville post too...was concerned about you what happened. It is so frustrating when these silly accidents happen and put us out of our races which we train so hard for. As everyone keeps telling me after my bike accident there will always be other races. Our health is more important! Feel good! Where next for you?