Saturday, January 5, 2008

Winter Training (and memories of Boulder)

As the winter has progressed I have already logged some memorable miles in the cold, wet weather. While I cannot say that I enjoy doing this one bit, I have to admit that I have created some funny memories already and some grueling training days to reflect back upon when the going gets tough in a race in 2008.


One such day included a very good friend of mine, Jess. Jess came from Boulder for the holidays to visit family. She just moved to Boulder in July and the decision seems like it has been one of the best ones that she has made. Not only does training in Boulder beat riding the L.I.E. of Long Island, but at any time of day you are sure to find a fellow cyclist, runner, climber, snowboarder, etc...(the list goes on) to join you in whichever endeavor you might want to partake in for that given day. The social scene is very good to Jess as well, which she seems to be pretty happy about! When opportunity strikes, I try to get out there and do some sweet training at altitude, staying with friends such as Jim Dougherty and Simon Butterworth. In fact, the last time I was there was 2 weeks after Ironman Hawaii. My friend Erin and I stayed with Simon and his wife Ingrid. It was a great opportunity to do some different activities (other than swim, bike, run).


One such day we decided to do a hike up to one of the highest peaks in the Flat irons (the Mountains that are visible from almost any point in Boulder). The hike went up to Bear Peak and it was magnificent! I thought I was in top shape until I did something like this...the hiking really uses different muscles than I am used to and I was sore the days after!!! Once we reached the summit and rested for some food, we got a "fly-by" over head from a glider plane that was out for a ride! The views were extraordinary and it was just the thing that Simon and I needed after racing Kona 2 weeks earlier (Simon is a stand-out age group triathlete, placing among the top in the world in his 60-64 age group). Erin had just completed a grueling Chicago marathon 3 weeks earlier and she welcomed the hike as well. The weekend in Boulder was just the kind of "off time" that we all needed. In the spring and summer i'll return to train hard at altitude again, but for this trip it was all fun and no serious training. It seems that Boulder definitly has it all!
Back to winter on Long Island though...It was a Thursday and I had to do a 3 hour ride. Nothing in particular for the workout, really...just go out and ride steady for 3 hours. It was a "mild day" of low 40's, but the forecast called for rain showers. I swam with my team at 6AM and decided to go back to George's take a nap and then get out on the bike at 11 (hoping the rain would subside). I was meeting Jess at the bike shop at 11, and when I left it didn't seem too bad. I wasn't particularly psyched about the grey day, but it looked like the roads would be wet, but the rain wouldn't be a factor. I was so wrong... We started out in a "mist". I didn't have a rain coat, so that "mist" turned out to be pretty soaking. After 30 min we looked at each other and said, "this isn't so bad", and, "I wouldn't be out here is it weren't for you!...you're the best"! Basically we were feeling pretty good about ourselves and pretty tough. We were out training in cold wet weather and we were psyched! After 45 minutes I realized that my tights and jersey were completely wet from the "mist". After 50 minutes, I turned to Jess and said, "I'm cold". She agreed and we decided to cut the original route down from 50 miles to 40. At the next light my fingers were getting really cold, my gloves were soaked and I said, "we should try and get home". She agreed, told me she was miserable.
As we started riding back I got wetter and colder. I was contemplating calling George to pick us up, but decided against it "I got myself into this so I have to get myself out"! I was trying to ride hard to stay warm, but trucks would come by at fast speeds spraying us with water, downhills were unbearably cold, and my attempts at warmth were failing. I was so miserable, but every time we stopped at a light I laughed hysterically. Looking back at Jess, she had dirt and water all over her face from the spray of the road and the spray that my back wheel was giving off. The scene was to much to take...it was hysterical! I was miserable, but bursting into laughter at the same time! In fact, I am laughing as I think about it now!
We were on a mission to get home. I didn't think it would ever happen. I didn't eat, I didn't drink, I couldn't move. I just hammered along with the thought of a warm house and a warm shower to thaw me out. Once we got to Babylon, we said a quick good bye (through laughter) and I rode to George's. Once I got to the door (of which I could not open with frozen hands) I walked inside to George's hint of sarcasm...with a big smile on his face he said, "How was the ride?! Fun?!" I walked in the door and went hysterically laughing for a few minutes before I gained my composure (I think I was losing my mind!) I hopped in the shower (that didn't even feel good for a few minutes...until the freezing parts of my body thawed out), and was welcomed with the best soup and grilled cheese ever! (Thanks George...).
So the ride was absolutely miserable, but on the bright side, I got some good quality in, something to look back upon when the going gets tough while racing, and some fond memories with one of my best friends... Oh, and George and Mike ended up repeating our cold rainy ride on new years Day when they joined a group of cyclists in an "unofficial race" up 9W to Bear Mountain. Cold and miserable, they were, but apparently it ended up being put on a list of funny memories as they tried to warm themselves in the McDonald's bathroom after the ride! As for me, I am planning on a "warm training trip". While the memories of training in the cold wet weather are fond, I (and i am sure I can speak for George and Mike as well) do not wish to repeat this cold rainy ride any time soon!

No comments: