Saturday, March 29, 2008

Recovering from Injury, Endless Travel and 2008 revised

Right now I am sitting on a plane bound for San Diego. It is 8:45 AM Eastern Time (5:45 AM Pacific Time) and I should already be in San Diego getting ready to start my first race of the season, IM California 70.3. Unfortunately I will not be at the start line today as I am recovering (am almost recovered) from a “sprained Sacroiliac joint”. Although frustrating, I am looking on the bright side. For one, it is almost completely recovered with 2 weeks of laying off the running and getting treated by my acupuncturist (Dr. Yang) and Chiropractor/Active Release therapist Dr. Lembo. In addition to these regular treatments, I have taken the advice of my friend and PT Don Rourke who noticed a weakness in my right Glut/periformis muscle, which has lead to a slight instability and change in gait. Don (and Dr. Lembo) suggested some exercises that have already begun to remedy the weakness. I have no doubt in my mind that getting hit by a car a few months back while riding my bicycle has contributed to this injury. As I said earlier, however, I am looking on the bright side. I am still headed to California as my Zoot Team is getting together for a camp this weekend to get to know the sponsors and other team members as well as the coordinators of Team Zoot…it should be a blast! After that I am headed out to Tucson to take part in a training camp with my friend Tara Norton and some other triathletes. I’ll be there for 6 days of training before heading back up to Tempe for some more training (and meeting up with my good friends Wolf, Nic, Michelle, Travis and Erin all-except Erin who is pregnant-who will be competing in Ironman Arizona on April 13th) then flying back home April 14th.
So, life isn’t so bad, the more I do this sport the more I realize that injuries are “part of the job”. It’s just a matter of getting over them and treating them quickly and “smart”. By this I mean resting when you have to. This can make you crazy, but I look at it as “part of my training”. I have to be smart, or my little injuries will become major. A positive of this little “set-back” is a complete season change. After sitting down with Mike yesterday, I have a whole new list of races that I will be competing in, and I am psyched! First up will be IM Florida 70.3 on May 18th (this is a favorite of mine and I cannot wait to return), next is IM Boise 70.3, a new 70.3 race for 2008 held on June 1st. After that I will return to Ironman Lake Placid in July, and really, I couldn’t be happier. To be on a top podium spot in Lake Placid this year will be a dream come true. Last year, I raced IM Lake Placid which was the US Women’s Pro Championship race. It was also my first Ironman as a pro triathlete. I finished 7th overall with a 10:09. I was thrilled, but this year I have bigger goals at Lake Placid, and for me, there couldn’t be a better place to do it. Lake Placid is a “home-town race” for Long Islanders. EVERYONE on Team Runner’s Edge is there to watch, so there are literally hundreds of spectators that know me personally as well and tons of athletes racing that I know! It’s such a great feeling. Also, my family will be there (of course) as well as my coach Mike, and hopefully George if he can get off work. The season looks fantastic and I couldn’t be more excited for the line-up! With running starting up again this week, and with my cycling and swimming being the best and strongest than ever, I am set for an amazing 2008 season and this is all because I had an injury that forced me to re-adjust. This is a great lesson for me of turning something bad into something positive. :-)
Just one last thought: as I type this I am thinking about all of the travel that I have done this year so far, all the travel ahead of me the next few weeks, as well as for the 2008 season! Travel can be “bittersweet”. I love the experiences that I have on these trips and this is the life that I have wanted: traveling often, meeting new people, training in new places, escaping cold weather, etc. Of course there is the aspect of “leaving home” that can be a bit of a downer. These past 2 weeks at home have been great though. I got to watch George race in (and win) one of the Spring Series Cycling Races. This one was held in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. The series lasts from March through April and is held in Central Park and Prospect Park. So far he has won three of the four races that he has competed in and it is always a blast to go watch one of these cycling events, especially when he dominates like he has. His team (Team Babylon Bike Shop) consists of George, Mike, Lou, Randy, Matt, Skip, Don and Ken. The race I watched was on Easter morning, so we had Lou, Don, Randy and George out there racing. George won his race with a sprint that separated him quickly from the rest of the guys, and Don got third in his. For info on the races as well as race pictures see http://www.nyvelocity.com/. In addition to watching a race, I got to ride with friends, which is always a treat. Thankfully, Mike is back on the road after being hit by a car 6 weeks ago and it was great to be out there with him again. Also, it was nice to see everyone at Runner’s Edge as I miss them. In all it was just nice to be home. As I mentioned earlier, travel is “bittersweet”, I realize now however, as I am typing this, that it actually forces me to reflect upon, and appreciate home that much more. Spending time with George; watching him race; riding with Mike, George, Don, Lou, etc.; seeing friends from work (Nancy, Dave, Bob, Gary, etc…); and just being home is appreciated much more when I travel like I have been. :-) So, with the injury healing up and almost behind me, the 2008 season “re-adjusted”, great training ahead of me as well as great races, I am back on track and ready to rock!

1 comment:

jean said...

Hey Dee,

I wanted to be the first on the blog! Sounds like you are having a blast training with all those pros, but have you been chased by an ax lately? :)...Sorry we'll miss you at Disney this year, but we'll catch you in LP. Take care and be well!!! Love the updates!

J&J