Saturday, March 15, 2008

Winter Training in Tempe, Arizona: More travel and warm weather training!

I am now in Arizona and have been here for a little over a week training in the land of sun and blue skies. After spending a week and a half home in New York from my last excursion to the Tour of California, I flew across the US again. This time I ended up in Tempe, Arizona where my friends Nicole and Wolfgang have been staying. Nic and Wolf (see http://www.nicandwolf.com/) have been staying with a wonderful couple, Travis and Erin. Nic and Wolf were lucky to stumble upon Travis and Erin last year as a “home-stay” for Ironman Arizona. They became fast friends and next thing they knew it, Travis and Erin were signed up for Ironman Canada 2007 with Nic and Wolf! Amazing what a home-stay can lead to! Erin is now 6 months pregnant and looks awesome! She has more energy that most women. Travis is doing Ironman Arizona again this year and despite holding down a time-consuming job (don’t know how people with full-time jobs do it), seems ready to rock! I was lucky to be “put up” in a great Townhouse with their friend Michelle. Michelle, like Travis, holds down a super time-consuming job and has been training hard for Ironman Arizona. She seems ready for a huge PR in Ironman this year. I’ll be here to cheer them all on (as well as friend and fellow Pro, Tara Norton who finished 12th in Kona this past year). It should be a blast…I can’t wait!
I find that since my training has truly become a “full-time” job for me, my days absolutely fly by! Quite surprising, really, but I find that every minute of the day can be filled with some sort of “training”. That includes stretching, core, analysis of workouts, prep for upcoming workouts, contact with my coach Mike, swimming, biking, running, personal work such as coaching, etc… An example of a “typical” day for me follows: Today, I got up at 5:15 AM and went to the Masters Swim Team practice at the ASU pool. The team is called the Sun Devils and the coaches are awesome. I was lucky to find them and I have been joining them every morning. After swimming, I came back to Michelle’s and made some breakfast (oatmeal with berries, bananas, soy milk, raisins, nuts and honey) mmm… After breakfast I did some stretching (my Sacroiliac joint has been a bit inflamed and I have been getting treated for it). After stretching, I got ready for my bike. Today wasn’t especially long (about 50 miles). I had three-2o minute intervals at a bit above my 70.3 pace. The intervals went great today and the power came “easy”. Off the bike, I ran a “not so long” transition run of 5 miles which included two-1.5 mile intervals. The run went well today as well! I was running fast without “red-lining”. Exactly what I wanted to do! Once I returned from the run, I took an “ice bath” to cool off the legs and lower back (it was in the 80’s here today). Then, I stretched and downloaded my workouts, writing descriptions for my coach. After eating (turkey and Swiss sandwich on whole wheat) I went to Dr. Brown, a Chiropractor and Acupuncturist located on Baseline Road in Tempe. Dr. Brown has been treating my inflamed S.I. joint with electric stimulation, acupuncture as well adjustments. He is an athlete as well, which I find to be really great. He’s been very helpful and I am quickly feeling better! I must admit though, that I am anxious to get back home to have my friend and PT, Don Rourke (who helped with my post bike/car accident rehab) check out my back. After e-mailing my workouts to Mike and making dinner, I find myself here, writing this Blog at 7PM. Soon, I’ll go to bed and get up early tomorrow to do it again! Bonus for tomorrow is my massage with Martin Giacalone. He works out of Sole Sports (a running store in Tempe) and is without a doubt the best massage therapist in town, if not in all of Arizona! I highly recommend Martin. His contact number is (602) 524-2295. After seeing him Friday I know I will be feeling great and ready-to-rock for my workout Saturday.
I find myself so “out of the loop” that I am absolutely amazed when I see amateur athletes with full-time jobs (such as Travis and Michelle) training for these long events. I believe that what I do takes a lot of focus and energy, but to train after completing an 8+ hour work day is simply grueling. I see it when I am home with George as well. Wake at 5:45, commute to work, work all day, home by 4:15, on the trainer at night, eat, bed…Yikes! Compared to the “average Joe” and to the typical pro athlete whose day revolves around their training, these athletes are truly remarkable. This past weekend, I was lucky to join the local tri team (Landis tri Team) here in Tempe for a “race day simulation” on the Ironman Arizona course. While my body is used to regular long bike rides, the majority of the athletes fit them in on the weekends. The coach, Tim Bowlin of Excel & Beyond Coaching had aid out on the course which included Gatorade, cookies, gel, bars, bananas, pretzels, water, etc. There were well over 30 people completing the 112 Mile Bike and 8 Mile run. It was awesome for Wolf, Nic and I to have company out on the course (especially Nic and Wolf as they are competing in Ironman Arizona next month). I took some “wrong turns” and ended up completing 123 miles (yikes!), but I always had athletes in view or by my side on the course which was uplifting. Tim and his volunteers were fantastic cheerleaders and supporters. I felt like I was in the race every time I passed them cheering like mad! After my “over-distance ride”, I decided to run 4 miles at tempo. We ran on the actual run course for IMAZ. Most of the tri team completed 117 miles on the bike and 8 miles of running. What a solid day! I’m sure they all feel much more confident after a great training weekend and I look forward to cheering them on in 4 weeks.
As for myself, I will finish training here in Tempe and fly home on Monday before heading to California to race the California 70.3 in Oceanside on March 29th. As long as all is well with my Sacroiliac joint (it should be good to go) I will be ready to start off the 2008 season with a super-stacked field in California. After the race, I head to the Zoot Team Camp 2008 which should be a blast as all team members who can make it will get to know one another, as well as get to know the Zoot team coordinators. I am so excited to be racing with such a great team and I look forward to the weekend camp! Tempe has been awesome and I am psyched to return in April! Thank you and good luck to: Michelle, Travis and Erin (good luck with the race as well as the new baby on the way), Tim (coach of Excel & Beyond) and the Landis Tri Team, Nic & Wolf and thanks to the Sun Devils Masters Team, Dr. Brown of Brown Chiropractic and Acupuncture and last but not least, Martin Giacalone, massage therapist extraordinaire. Tempe has been a great home away from home! I look forward to returning!

1 comment:

Mike said...

When you're typing, you should be sleeping :-)
GREAT post.