Friday, August 28, 2009

Greetings from Louisville!

I'm here in Louisville awaiting race day on Sunday. I am happy to report that while my bruised ribs are not 100%, they are feeling better than last week. They are good enough that I decided to race with the hopes of a great day! Strangely, the weather forecast is for a high of 74 degrees. This is a far cry from what I had expected...the typical 90+ degree 90% humidity and oppressive weather that is typical here! Oddly enough, my friends in Canada are awaiting a 90 degree day there! What a switch!
I swam in the Ohio River today. 82 degrees means no wetsuits allowed. I actually don't mind swimming without a wetsuit. It never seems to help me out too much and I feel more comfortable without one on. Due to the rib injury, however, I may not be able to push too hard in the water, but we'll see what happens when the cannon goes off! I may not be able to help myself!
A friend of mine, and fellow CW Post Masters swimmer, Dan O'Connell is here racing as well. Dan will be doing his 4th Ironman and his first IM Louisville. He's in the 60-64 age group and will be racing for Team Runners Edge! I just had the pleasure of joining him and his wife Anna at the Carbo dinner tonight! Typically I don't attend the Carbo dinners much anymore, but I did tonight and it ended up being a nice surprise...one of the most entertaining carbo dinners that I have been to.
So, Im all ready to go. I believe there are 18 Pro Women racing Sunday and 3 slots to kona! Woo Hoo! It seems that plenty of girls want a slot and there is plenty of competition, so it should be interesting to see what happens!
For now, I am resting, eating and drinking. Tomorrow will be a short bike, then I will drop my bike off in transition (love dropping my bike off!), after that I will head to the airport to pick my mom (Yay! Race support!)! The rest of the day will be the waiting game till race morning...not my favorite time. Like most athletes, I like to get started. Once the race starts the nerves subside and I can focus on what I need to be doing. Racing hard... Good Luck again to everyone at Canada (Haley, Tara, Wolf, Nic, Kevin, Seth), and Good Luck to Dan O'Connell racing here with me!

3 comments:

Haley Cooper-Scott said...

Go Dee go! I am so excited for you to race and am sending fast vibes your way. I just wish I could send the heat that direction as well :)

seth said...

have a great race. its nice to think were racing at the same time on opposite ends of the continent. canada is beautiful. i just saw tara, who is looking strong. best wishes, i know youll kill it

Toni Peris said...

Hey Dee, good luck!
I hope you get your Kona slot!