Wednesday, January 21, 2009

WINTER...


"In the midst of winter, I found there was within me, an invincible summer." -Albert Camus

That "invincible summer" has come in the form of a trainer and a treadmill. Despite FREEZING temps, snow and more snow, the training is coming along fantastically! I've found a "fondness", or rather an "appreciation" for the trainer and I am finding that the workouts are getting better and better. As George pointed out the other day, a trainer workout goes by much faster while watching the Tour de France and that is exactly what I have been doing. Right now I am in the middle of the 2002 Tour. Lance just had a victory at Plateau de Beille, but was not so lucky at Mt. Ventoux. Since I was not an "avid" Tour watcher back then, it is like watching it for the first time! Of course, I know the outcome, but it is exciting anyway...even without one of my favorites, Jan Ullrich competing (alright, I know he has been found guilty of doping, but Im still a "Jan fan"...sorry)!

The running has been coming along great and there is a LOT of it. Today's run #1 started at 15 degree temps...I went to the trail and did a snowy run by Belmont Lake. I find that running in the snow is REALLY fun, but I really suck at it. That's what my Garmin's average pace tells me anyway. No worries...I find that it is an AWESOME workout! Run #2 today will be done on the treadmill, however. This run will be much shorter and easier after a core and strength session at the gym. Treadmill running is nice because I can wear shorts, but I am certainly not the world's best treadmill runner. Give me a flat road and I am Golden...any deviation and I am not so "Gold", but as they say, "that which does not kill you makes you stronger", so bring on the snowy trails and the treadmill workouts! Swimming, of course, is easy during this arctic freeze, so I do this QUITE often! Alternating swimming with Aquafit and swimming solo...both of which I look forward to when the time comes. So, until I reach REAL summer (Arizona, Florida), I am finding that the brutal winter we are having is not bringing me down so much. I may even get out on the road this weekend! A first since Florida! :-)

No comments: